The tiring day was taking its toll on me. It had just been 6 o clock in the evening, and lethargy had creeped into me.
I looked around gloomily. The office was too big and too busy, for my lack of interest to be noticed.
Just about to return to work, I made eye-contact with Saakshi.
She smiled at me. Just like evrytime, it had the same arresting aura.
I meekly returned it with a drowsy smile, conveying my present state.
Saakshi shook her head, gave a gentle laugh and went back to work.
She was looking nice. She always did. Infact, her new pair of black shell frames actually made her look a tad more pretty.
I moved my eyes and now stared at my pc.
Somehow, my mind had left the office building, and work really seemed impossible now.
I glanced at my watch again, and was contemplating the idea of leaving early, when my phone rang.
It was Pooja.
She had gone to stay at my in-laws place, and was supposed to return by the evening.
'Yes shona', I said.
'What took you so long to pick up? ', was the instant reply.
' I was just thanking God that I have a wife like you, who still calls me for romance, even after two years of marriage', I said, with a hint of sarcasm.
' Shut up! Listen, Asha desperately wants me to stayover tonight, and I really couldn't say no to her '.
' What do you say? ', she went on.
Now, Asha was her sister, who, much to my occassional dismay, looked mostly prettier than her.
' I say wow!' , I exclaimed.
' What do you mean wow? ', she retorted.
' I mean, wow what love! What sweet bonding! ', I defended myself valiantly.
' Stay over' , I added further.
' Very funny! Fine I'l do that. Did you have any food since lunch? ' , her concerns rising now.
' No. I was starving myself for you at night, but now that you are not coming, I might as well have something ', I derided.
She laughed. ' Funny again! Please have something and let me know. '
' Sure madame! Chalo bye now ', I ended.
'Bye hon'.
A free night, I thought to myself. May be I could ask Rohit, if he is free, to come over and share a drink.
' Oye stop dreaming' , came a girl's voice, interrupting my chain of thoughts.
I looked up to see Sakshi smiling.
' Its amazing how I was just thinking of you and you came up to me' , I said promptly.
' Oh really? ' , her smile implying sarcasm.
' Well, actually no. But now that you are here, I don't mind giving you my attention ', my eyes resting cheerfully on hers.
' Aditya you and your humour can seek appreciation elsewhere ', she said with apparent exasperation.
' Saakshi, you and your beauty should seek appreciation right here!' , I kept on smiling.
She blushed. I could understand that when she looked away and smiled.
' Aditya ', she continued.
' You are a married man. Stop flirting and improve yourself ' , she rebuked with the same smile.
' Saakshi! How can you improve perfection? ', I played on. My eyes now deep seated into hers.
' Ok ok! Enough now '
She bent down. ' Listen, even I am feeling kind of lethargic. You want to go out for coffee? '
Now before anything further, let me elaborate on my relation with Saakshi.
We were office colleagues and also, friends of sorts. She was obviously the prettiest girl at office, and she always counted me amongst the better looking guys ( Probably by the virtue of which I came to be her friend ).
Although I spoke to her regularly and flirted almost everytime, it was always done in good spirits and not harbouring any ulterior motives.
She was the daughter of Sunil Rawaat, the sole owner of a very popular clothing brand in India. Although she grew up in an opulent lifestyle, an unrelenting maritial pressure and entailing tiffs led to her exit from home. She purchased a double bedroom flat at a posh place in the city, and resided there all alone.
Till date, she has not been able to make me understand how independence could possibly matter more than luxory.
Sigh!
Nevertheless, we decided to go out.
After glibly telling our boss some excuses, we went down and I started my car.
'Where to madame? ', I asked, adjusting the rear view mirror.
'Adi, can we skip coffee and go to a bar? ', came the reply, her face straight.
Ahem! I was a bit startled. I mean, not that I do not visit bars, but the prospect of going to a bar, late night, with a female colleague was not something I felt extremely comfortable with.
' Yeah.. Su..re ', I spoke hesitantly. I truly hoped that I could explain things to Pooja, if in case she found out.
' Good then. Lets go to Utopia ', her face reflecting a contagious smile.
Utopia was a lounge, or rather, 'the' lounge of my city. It was always flocked with insanely hot women, and the sight came at a pinchingly expensive menu.
'Sure', I agreed, and put the first gear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

A great start...!!! The second part is awaited...
ReplyDelete:)